These are basically the healthy gluten free allergy friendly version of Reese's Peanut butter treats. Because I think no one should have to go without chocolate, I wanted to make a gluten, soy, dairy, refined sugar and nut free treat! It's only sweetened with a touch of raw honey so it's all the pleasure without the guilty.
Some really important points you should know before trying this recipe are: 1. Make sure you make them on the small side. You want them to be a one bite size. Why? Because coconut oil is what holds them together and they melt quickly. You want to be able to eat one and put it back in the fridge. 2. Make sure the chocolate coating sauce cools a bit before dipping the sunbutter in it. I mention these below but they're really important because or else this recipe can get messy!
Dairy Free Sunbutter Chocolates (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)
1 cup sunbutter
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp raw cocoa, cocoa powder or carob powder
2 tsp raw honey
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw cocoa, cocoa powder or carob powder
1 tbsp raw honey
1. In a small bowl mix together the sunbutter, melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, raw honey and sea salt.
2. Line a baking sheet in parchment paper. Then using a teaspoon pour the sunbutter mixture into individual ovals. Leaving about 1/3 cup for garnish later.
3. Put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile it's time to create the chocolate. In a small sauce pan over low heat melt 1/2 cup coconut oil then whisk in 1/3 cup raw cacao and 1 tsp raw honey. Turn off heat and let cool to just above room temperature. Where it's still melted, but not as hot.
5. Remove the sunbutter mixture from the freezer and then dip the ovals into the chocolate coconut oil mixture, shake off excess and then add back onto the parchment paper. Do this one at a time until they're all done. Be quick or they will begin to soften. Then add back to the freezer for 15 min. (Optional: you can repeat this step a second time if you want a thicker coating.
6.Remove from freezer and then using a spoon or piping bag drizzle the 1/3 cup sunbutter mixture onto the chocolates. Sprinkle with sprinkles (optional) then freeze again for at least 15 minutes.
7. Enjoy quickly because they will melt. Store in fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a month.