I love sunflower seeds, they're a great nut free alternative! They're also a common successful re introduction on the autoimmune protocol. They're a great source of healthy fats and vitamin e.
Healthy sources of fats like those found in sunflower seeds are actually the building blocks for cell membranes, allow your body to balance hormones, help to slow down absorption of food during meal time so that we can go longer without feeling hungry, and also act as carriers for important fat- soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
Sunflower seed butter mixed with coconut yogurt has the creamy taste of cheesecake without the dairy. I love making this recipe with homemade sun flower seedbutter. Just add a few cups of lightly toasted sunflower seeds to a food processor until a butter is formed. Add in a bit of sea salt and honey and you're good to go! Yum yum
Sunbutter Cheesecake Cups (Nut Free, Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
5 medjool dates
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seed butter
1/2 cup coconut yogurt (make your own here!)
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1. Put medjool dates, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and blend into a sticky crumbly mixture.
2. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
3. Add the sunflower seed butter, coconut yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt to a blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Take the seed mixture and spoon 1 tsp of it into the cupcake liners and press down to create crust.
5. Pour the sunbutter cheesecake mixture into the muffin liners evenly.
6. Place in freezer for at least 3-4 hours.
7. Defrost a touch and serve!